The case of Choi Jong Bum, ex-boyfriend of Goo Hara, goes to the Supreme Court after both sides appeal his recent verdict.
On July 9, it was reported that Choi Jong Bum appealed to the Seoul Central District Court. The public prosecutor appealed the previous day.
In September 2018, Goo Hara and Choi Jong Bum got into an argument and initially reported to the police that Goo Hara had attacked him. Goo Hara replied that Choi Jong Bum blackmailed her with a sex video and threatened to end her career. Eventually, both were forwarded to the prosecutor’s office on separate charges, but Goo Hara received a charge while the Choi Jong Bum case was brought to justice.
In 2019, Choi Jong Bum was charged by the prosecutor with violating the law on special cases related to the punishment of sexual crimes (filming body parts without consent), assault, intimidation (extortion), coercion, and property destruction and damage. In his first trial last August, he received a year and six month prison sentence that was suspended for three years. An appeal was filed against him and the public prosecutor.
During the appeal process on May 21, he pleaded guilty to all charges, except for those inconsistent with filming. On July 2, the court ruled that Choi Jong Bum’s parole was revoked and he was sentenced to one year in prison. The court also upheld its earlier ruling that Choi Jong Bum was not guilty of filming the victim’s body without consent, and stated that it could not be said without reason that the video was made without her permission.
After the appeal process, Goo Hara’s brother, Goo Ho In, said the family was comforted by the fact that Choi Jong Bum’s sentence was no longer suspended, but by the one-year prison sentence and the fact that he was not found , disappointed were guilty without filming consent. Goo Ho In said that they would ask the prosecutor to file a final appeal against the verdict.
Noh Jong Eon, the legal representative of the Goo Hara family, explained the reason for filing a final appeal against the verdict. “We hope that the Supreme Court will make a decision that takes into account the victim’s stance, especially when shooting illegally, as they can suffer huge damage that they may never recover from.” He added: “We hope for a decision that is just and that is common sense.”
“When it comes to crimes of sexual violence, the most important thing is the victim,” he said. “We sincerely hope that this opportunity will change the focus of the verdict, which has previously focused on the perpetrator.”
Top photo credit: Xportsnews
How do you feel in this article?